Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Abstract Thinker

I was given a fairly simple task to complete. Put the 3x4 puzzle box together while being timed. Simple. The puzzle pieces I had to use for this puzzle were oddly shaped and twisty. They resembled giant french fries really.

"People with concrete thinking often do very well for this activity. It will test how well you can put 3-D objects together," explained the test overseer. "If you don't test well for this then you're an abstract thinker." This was just one of the many hands-on activities I had to complete for my aptitude test. The test tells you what your natural abilities are, and that will help in figuring out a career. It even tests your tonal and design memory. As someone who has no idea what to do with their life after high school, this was the test I desperately needed to take.

It was about a minute into this particular test when my confidence started to waiver. Thirty seconds later, several pieces fit together. Success! I turned each block over in my hand, trying to ignore the fact the test overseer now had a very bored expression on her face and was attempting to casually glance at the timer in her hand. Three more french fry blocks to put in place. I felt very accomplished by the time the blocks once again formed a cube. Sure I had a rough start, but I think I made up for the lost time in the end. I just might be a concrete thinker after all.

And then the overseer set out a new puzzle box, this one more complicated. I can easily do this. 

I figured it out. Eventually. Although I was totally focused on the puzzle, I'm fairly certain my test overseer got a good nap in while I was at war with the french fry blocks.



Stick figures-I'm, like, so artist
Turns out abstract thinking is typical for people who are good at subjects like English, history and psychology. Abstract thinkers reflect on events and ideas. For example, if there was a female athlete was running while holding a torch the concrete thinker would see the painting in the "here and now." Concrete thinkers are more likely to see the athlete simply as she appeared to be, while an abstract thinker would look at the painting and argue it reflected the painter's values as the woman and torch represented The Statue of Liberty.

And on another note, did you know that the cubicle didn't get it's name from it's shape? It's name is actually derived from the Latin word cubiculum, which means bed chamber. Fun fact.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates