Wednesday, August 22, 2012

10th Anniversary

As of tomorrow, I will have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years.

10 years ago I had no clue what it meant to have Type 1 diabetes. I hardly knew that the disease existed. When the doctor said that from now on, my life was going to be completely different, my 7 year old self couldn't quite grasp the reality of the situation. I saw the concern on my parents' faces-I knew how sick I'd been.

I was both confused and scared when I received the news. I was even a little relieved to finally have answers, and to be rid of my biggest fears of what my illness meant. Then I figured that the disease would simply disappear after awhile and the rest would just be an awful nightmare. I wanted to go back to how things were, but it soon became clear this wasn't going to happen. The disease, unfortunately, stuck.

My parents had their work cut out for them. They were the ones that had to give me the shots, remind me to check my blood sugar, to push me into a routine, and to teach me to live a completely different lifestyle. And to be honest, I probably didn't make it much easier for them at the time. I really respect my parents. They were the ones that really helped me understand my situation and grow from it. They have always supported me through the highs and the lows (no pun intended). And I'm blessed to be able to benefit from the medicine and technology that keeps me healthy today. Diabetes affects every aspect of a person's life-emotionally, physically and even socially sometimes. However, having diabetes has caused me to become more aware of my health. It's taught me some valuable lessons-some were hard lessons to learn.

Mostly I'm just thankful that my brother and cousin, both who are at risk for diabetes, haven't developed the disease. Hopefully they never will. And who knows, maybe someday I'll be able to say that I had Diabetes.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates